Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D-Link DWA 140 USB on v9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

D-Link DWA 140 USB on v9.10

Hello, I have recently installed 9.10 and have a strange problem with my usb wireless connection. Im using a D-link DWA 140 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=652), it recognises my home network but wont connect to it.

In the wiki (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...workCardsDlink) its listed as "Works out of the box on Jaunty Jackalope kernel 2.6.28-11. Module from staging at this time, with zero issue found yet." but I can't seem to find the problem.

Because its a usb and not an internal card, I didnt see much when i put in the segested commands in the sticky, but here is some infomation I could get, I dont know how useful it is.

Code:
    Tu Virsion 9.10

mark@ubuntu:~$ uname -mr
    2.6.31-14-generic i686

mark@ubuntu:~$ iwconfig wlan0
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.427 GHz  
              Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=5 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:on
              Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

mark@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    [sudo] password for mark: 
      *-network               
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 01
           serial: 00:1d:92:b5:96:e7
           size: 10MB/s
           capacity: 100MB/s
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
           resources: irq:26 ioport:ee00(size=256) memory:fddff000-fddfffff memory:fde00000-fde1ffff(prefetchable)
      *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           physical id: 1
           logical name: wlan0
           serial: 00:1c:f0:14:ab:4d
           capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn

mark@ubuntu:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
     * Reconfiguring network interfaces...                                        [ OK ]
    Any help would be great, thanks.

Beans

Re: D-Link DWA 140 USB on v9.10

I'm don't have the answer but I have exactly the same problem. I notice that no one has answered your question in 9 hours.

Every installation of Ubuntu that I have done I have had issues with wireless USB. When I installed 8.04 I had a linksys usb dongle and learned about ndiswrapper and finally got it working. Then I upgraded to 9.04 and wifi broke again. ndiswrapper was now dropped from the distribution so upon recommendation, I bought a Dlink DWA-140 usb wifi stick and was able to get it working. Now I upgrade to 9.1 and again problems.

This is ridiculous. If you google "wifi problems ubuntu" you see that the problems have been continual for many years.

We would appreciate a solution to this problem.

Also, why is wifi so difficult a problem for Ubuntu? Microsoft and Mac OS X upgrades have handled this just fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by markfrancis2008 View Post
    Hello, I have recently installed 9.10 and have a strange problem with my usb wireless connection. Im using a D-link DWA 140 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=652), it recognises my home network but wont connect to it.
    This is quite easy to fix. Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file and then reboot:

blacklist rt2800usb

This file is owned by root, but you can usually edit it using sudo program to run an editor as a root user:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by ktuomain; November 23rd, 2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added information how to edit a file which is owned by root

Beans

THANK YOU!

This worked perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

will this work for my wusb54gc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by AFI420 View Post
    will this work for my wusb54gc?
    I think wusb54gc has different chipset. DWA-140 seems to be using RT2870 chipset (at least mine is using RT2870). This is what lsusb command shows on my DWA-140:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 07d1:3c09 D-Link System DWA-140 802.11n Adapter [ralink rt2870]

If wusb54gc has the same chipset, it is quite likely that the blacklisting above helps. But if it is not same chipset (I think it is not the same chipset as wusb54gc seems to be 802.11g instead of 802.11n), blacklisting might not help. But it still might be worth trying even if it is using different chipset. If it doesn't help, you should remove that line and reboot again. And please let as know if blacklisting helps with wusb54gc.

I think that the problem with RT2870 chipset is that the system loads or at least tries to load the wrong driver (rt2800usb) which messes up the system. And blacklisting prevents loading the wrong driver. The same problem could also be happening with wusb54gc even if it has different chipset, but I cannot be sure about that.
    Last edited by ktuomain; November 22nd, 2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Wrong chipset number

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the windows driver for my adapter is a rt2870.conf file which i used before with ndiswrapper, but still couldnt get a stable connection to my router. but I remember seeing it say that it was using alternate driver for rt2800

maybe if I blacklist 2800 it will use 2870. do I have to load it using ndiswrapper or is it already on the system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by AFI420 View Post
    maybe if I blacklist 2800 it will use 2870. do I have to load it using ndiswrapper or is it already on the system?
    I think that my DWA-140 is not using ndiswrapper. I think that the driver it is using is called rt2870sta.

After the upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 I haven't selected any proprietary driver or done anything else than just that blacklisting, rebooting and then just connecting to my access point by using network manager. I cannot remember anymore if I had installed some proprietary driver before the upgrade.

If the following command doesn't report any errors, I think you already have the driver file on your computer:

sudo modprobe rt2870sta

Beans

ktuomain -

Do you know why Ubuntu distros have so many problems with wifi? The reason I chose the D-link DWA-140 was that it was "green" listed in the Ubuntu documentation as supported by the kernel for 9.04. For 9.04 I did not have to install any drivers. It seems that if an OS version works with a recommended piece of hardware then an upgrade should have been tested against previous compatible hardware. I know Ubuntu is free and probably relies on the contributions of volunteers (and I'm grateful for their efforts) but do they have a rigorous process for testing releases? Is there something I could be doing as a user that would make upgrades smoother?

This difficulty with upgrades and hardware makes it problematic for me to donate machines and recommend Ubuntu for people in need that are lower income and lacking expertise. The support problem will be overwhelming.

I would appreciate your comments. Also, thanks for the help - my system continues to be stable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mthorn View Post
    Do you know why Ubuntu distros have so many problems with wifi?
    I am sorry, but I am no expert on this subject and I can offer just educated guesses. In my opinion driver support for WLAN cards has been incomplete in Linux for some time, but I see some encouraging signs that it is slowly improving.

but do they have a rigorous process for testing releases? Is there something I could be doing as a user that would make upgrades smoother?
    I think downloading and testing beta releases and release candidates of new Ubuntu versions would be a good idea. It is easy to test a new version using live cd or usb stick without touching the old installation.

And if you notice any compatibility problems (especially new problems), you should report them. Then the problem may be fixed before releasing the new version or at least addressed in the release notes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast