Thread: DSL Problems

Beans

Red face DSL Problems

Hi all,
    This is my first post so kindly ignore me for my foolishness.Ok here is the situation.I am using an acer aspire one AOA 150 with following specs :

RAM 1 gb
    processor :1.6 ghz
    Hard drive :160 gb
    atheros ar5007eg
    realtek pcie fe family controller

Now im running windows 7 on it which runs absolutely fine no probs at all.but i wanted to switch to linux.so i downloaded the ubuntu 9.10 desktop edition live cd.now when i boot it up from an usb cd rom and try to connect to the internet it always give me a message "wired connection:you are now offline".On my windows 7 this is how i create an internet connection.i go to
    network and sharing centre =>setup a new connection or network =>connect to the internet =>broadband (pppoe).After that i just put in my username and password and i get a box in which i click on connect.then it verifies my username and password and then im on the internet.At my home i dont have any modem or router.its just a plain and simple cable with rj45 jack that i insert into my lan card interface.All i need and infact all my isp has provided me with is a username and password.Thats it.and its an local ISP not a branded one.

Now having said all that in ubuntu when i click on the network manager applet i get 5 options.None of them have the option of entering a username and password except dsl.so i create a new dsl connection and punch in my username and password which are absolutely correct.There is no problem with the interface because adapter light is blinking.Now whenever i choose my connection and try to connect it it never does.I thought that it is a desktop edition so it might not work with the netbook.so i downloaded the netbook remix live cd.It had a disgusting interface but still i managed to create the same dsl connection but the problem was same.it just wont connect.

I am using live cd because as if now i dont wanna loose everything and then have no internet connection because my main work is on internet.I think its not the problem with ubuntu its me.but i cant figure out what mistake am i doing.

Kindly help me out.Thanks in advance.

Beans

Smile Re: DSL Problems

OK i figured it out myself.It was just a simple command
    sudo pppoeconf
    and thats it.a nice and interactive wizard comes up and tells u wat to do and voila my internet is up again.
    anywayz thanks all of u for reading my post and posting such helpful information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: DSL Problems

Quote Originally Posted by shikhar_sharma View Post
    OK i figured it out myself.It was just a simple command
    sudo pppoeconf
    and thats it.a nice and interactive wizard comes up and tells u wat to do and voila my internet is up again.
    anywayz thanks all of u for reading my post and posting such helpful information.
    Thanks Buddy I faced the same problem.....but before I get too frustrated ....I got the clue.....thanx

let me try dat