Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Core i7 Cpu user come in please, cpu fan speed.

Beans

[Soved] Core i7 cpu fan high speed in ASUS L1366 mobo

Hi, everyone, I have this new computer:

Core i7 920 D0 stepping @ 2.66Ghz stock speed
    ASUS P6T Mobo
    OCZ Gold PC12800 2Gx3
    MSI twin tower OC GTX275
    I update the BIOS to the latest version, which is 0603. Q-fan enabled.

In windows 7 idle, the CPU temp (Tcase) I see in Everest and Speed fan is both about 36C, and fan speed is both reported about 500 - 700 rpm. I can visually confirm the CPU fan is running very slow and the heat sink is cold, so nice.

However, In Linux (Arch), the CPU temp (Tcase) temperature is reported by lm-sensors as 49C (obviously wrong since it is higher than core temp!) and CPU fan is running from 1100 - 1300 rpm. Thus linux runs a lot louder than windows. But when I open the case the cpu heat sink is cold while the fan is running fast for no reason. The CPU fan control is working, but the speed just change only from 1100 rpm up.

So core i7 users, can you share your experience with this issue?
    What is your cpu fan speed under ubuntu?
    Is the CPU fan control works well out of box for your new core i7 ?
    Any info is appreciated thanks a lot.

I want to know whether this problem only exist in Archlinux, or it is universal for linux, hopefully it works in ubuntu, then I will be more than happy to switch back home.

Btw, the Core temps at idle are 42, 39, 41, 40

Update: the issue is solved, see my last post, the solution is blacklisting: asus_atk0110, instead use w83667hg.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by yingwuzhao; October 1st, 2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: update slution

Beans

Re: Core i7 Cpu user come in please, cpu fan speed.

WTF, nobody in ubuntu forum is using core i7 cpu?

Come on, guys, this issue is basically confirmed with Arch linux, the cpu fan is running 500rpm faster in archlinux than in windows under the same idle condition. I want to know whether the cpu fan regulation is working properly in Ubuntu,

Somebody who has core i7 please report your cpu fan speed, and if you can please compare the speed in ubuntu and in windows.

Thanks a lot.

Beans

wait.....

Beans

Beans

i have an i7 with evga micro mobo. my fan speed and temps report fine, the problem is with the drivers for your mobo not the i7

Beans

It just sounds like you need to tweak lm-sensors. You can edit /etc/sensors.conf and tweak the raw data values.

Beans

NO, it is NOT.

The fan is physically running much faster, I can hear it and see it if I open the case. In windows 7, it is running very leisurely, while in arch linux it is running like crazy.

This problems has been confirmed by another Arch linux users, whose fan is running about 500rpm faster in linux than in windows.

Now my question is that whether or not this problem exist in Ubuntu?

If there is any core i7 user, I would very much like hear about your experience, what is your cpu fan speed in ubuntu under idle, and if you happen to have a dual boot, what is it under windows? and what is it in BIOS?

Thanks a lot.

Beans

..but it sounds like your sensor chip is reporting bad values. Have you tried editing /etc/sensors.conf and offsetting the raw values?

Beans

bear24rw, thanks.

My mobo is Asus p6t, is this a common problem with this mobo?

Do you know is there a good driver for this mobo?

Thanks a lot.

Beans

By the way, I surely tried to Google about his issue, until now, I have seen numerous core i7 linux users posting their lm-sensors output, without one exception, they ALL have very high CPU fan speed, normally more than 1300rpm. Well, they simply don't know their fan is running to fast!!

This is terrible, for people who absolutely appreciate the golden quietness.

Why the hell Windows 7 manage the CPU fan speed much better?

P.S. Right now, I am under windows 7 typing, the cpu fan is about 600rpm compared to the 1200rpm in my Archlinux.

Damn!!~

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast